Meet Our Doctors
Dr. Shabrez Tariq
Dr. Sara Goel
About Pain Management
Pain is an experience unique to each individual affected by multiple contributing factors, including medical illness, psychological issues, life stressors, financial constraints and previous experiences with health care providers. For this reason, Dr. Tariq addresses each patient`s pain condition with a comprehensive, multi-modal approach which includes therapy, medications, and interventional procedures.
Management of various PAIN CONDITIONS is done emphasizing the importance of:
- Empathy – most important aspect in treatment of pain patient.
- Concreteness of Diagnosis.
- Patient Education.
- Use of Multimodality Treatments- Physical Therapy, Use of Narcotic, Non-Narcotic, and Non-Addicting Pain Medication; Interventional Procedures: Spine Injections and minimally invasive procedures. Close Follow-Ups & Treatments.
- Patient Cooperation, Compliance, and Active Participation in the Treatment Plan.
Introduction to Pain Management
Pain management can be simple or complex, depending on the cause of the pain. An example of pain that is typically less complex would be nerve root irritation from a herniated disc with pain radiating down the leg. This condition can often be alleviated with an epidural steroid injection and physical therapy. Sometimes, however, the pain does not go away. This can require a wide variety of skills and techniques to treat the pain. These skills and techniques include:
- Interventional procedures.
- Medication management.
- Physical therapy or chiropractic therapy.
- Psychological counseling and support.
- Acupuncture and other alternative therapies; and Referral to other medical specialists.
All of these skills and services are necessary because pain can involve many aspects of a person`s daily life.